Those who live in or visit Huelva know that it has sunrises and sunsets that are difficult to forget.
For yet another year, Huelva is once again the sunniest city in Spain, surpassing others such as Las Palmas or Santa Cruz. Its 3,527 hours of sunshine per year, a figure that has been increasing in recent years, doubling those of other cities such as Bilbao or Gijón.
According to a report carried out in 2006 by the “Grupo La Luz”, this is due to the fact that the province is located approximately between 37º and 38º latitude, facing south, an area of maximum sun exposure.
The light of Huelva is of great quality as the province is located in the southwest of the peninsula, at the western end of the Mediterranean basin, in contact with the Atlantic and close to the area of influence of the Sahara desert. This position influences its Mediterranean climate with oceanic influences.
The Light of Huelva, a natural medicine
It is nothing new that the sun and natural light are beneficial to the health of living beings. Some of these benefits on a physical and mental level are:
- It improves sleep as exposure to sunlight causes the body to produce more melatonin.
- It helps to combat depression by increasing the amount of serotonin.
- Increases cognitive performance and productivity.
- Keeps bones strong and reduces the number of autoimmune diseases by promoting vitamin D production.
- Lowers blood pressure and reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease
- Reduces the risk of short-sightedness and thus improves visual health
- Encourages outdoor life and exercise, thereby lowering cholesterol and obesity and extending life expectancy.